16.4.12

oh, Gillingham.

These last weeks have sped by. I am unsure how this has happened, or where they have gone, all I know is it's been 6 months since I left the home country and the adventure is still going on. I am STILL so blessed to be in Gillingham. I was running the streets today (yes, this occasionally does happen) and as I took in my surroundings, it hit me that I was really truly in Gillingham, the town I have longed for. Now, this may seem unusual due to the length of time I have already been here but sometimes it just happens and I get this overwhelming, and sometimes surreal, sense of joy and realisation that I am ACTUALLY here. Truly AMAZING. I am so blessed to be here, FREE, not tied down to anything, but just able to live life, listen to God and just BE in this town. And then there are times when I am privileged enough to capture glimpses of the bigger picture, the workings of Jesus in me and in those around me.
Oh, the joy is overwhelming. Each week is different, and this is what I love. It blows my mind that I can live with an amazing family, work with these kids in Gillingham, play football with them and be welcomed into their communities, then the next week I am mooching around Europe with the amigo, Amie. So many blessings. So much thankfulness. INCREDIBLE. 
The family I live with are amazing. Their love and acceptance of people and the sense of community they develop in their house is mind blowing. It's such an atmosphere of support and joy and the 4 year old, Sophie, never ceases to come out with hilarious statements. Today we had 'slinky' championships, she chopped off a clump of her own hair at the dinner table and on other occasions has picketed outside my bedroom door singing songs until I emerge. The youngest, Ellie, not only has hair that sticks up vertically on her head, but has just turned one and said her first word 'A-men.' SO CUTE. Our house is currently being over run by myriads of tea-drinking builders, whilst the loft is converted into a BEAUTIFUL room for yours truly to live in whilst in Gillingham. It truly is a dream. The walls are sloped and there are windows either side that look out across the whole of Gillingham. I am ever so excited to move in there. 
In other news, I feel for the moment that it's the best thing to volunteer for GYFC 3 days. As hard as this is, because I LOVE the kids and this means I am missing out on one evening drop-in, I feel it's what is needed for this season. This means I now have two days opened up to just BE in Gillingham, or pursue other things that feed my soul, or give back to this place. SO exciting. And so blessed to just be able to do this. 
One thing that never fails to feed my soul is a visit to the big smoke, London. The hustle and bustle, the people watching potential and the feeling that anything could happen. Friday midday I headed off with high expectations of the day that was stretched out before me and the hopes of meeting with old friends. As soon as I leave the train at Victoria Station, the sense of being so small in such a big city is upon me. I spent the afternoon lunching with friends, Mike and Jazz. Then headed off to tackle the beast that is London transport, in hopes of arriving at Putney. A friend of mine, Anna, from New Zealand was waiting for me, and it was SO good to get a small taste of home, chat to someone with background and to hear of her adventures in London. Then off to an amazing bar, Grand Union to meet some of her friends. Not only was the floral wallpaper and old paintings to my utter delight, but the company was amazing, and I left that place feeling so restored and my soul well fed. 
Saturday morning, I did something I have been wanting to do for so long. In Chatham, the next town over from Gillingham, there is an AMAZING charity that is based in a church called 'Caring Hands in the Community.' It was started 9 years ago, and set out to meet the needs of the Gillingham Homeless Community. It's such a huge problem over here and is truly heartbreaking. They provide food, tea, showers, addiction and counselling services and seek to speak the truth of Jesus into these peoples lives. It is INCREDIBLE. Myself and a few from the discipleship group volunteered at this amazing place for a day. My heart was so at home here, the people that came in, the normality of it all and just the complete and the heart behind the project was amazing. Practically meeting their needs in every way possible. Man, Jesus was so there. I still get so overwhelmed with the need in this place, walking past people shouting in the streets, seeing people walking down the street with a can of beer at 9am, chatting to people and hearing their stories and then seeing the number of people in need of help. But God is SO big and so good and there is nothing in me that doubts he can do amazing things, and transform this place. One person at a time. All I gotta do is have hope. 
7 days to go, before I head off to Europe to see the lovely Amie Sutherland. So excited. News to come.
I cannot wait for her to see the place I love. And then bring stories home to share with you all. 
Amazing.




No comments:

Post a Comment